2.5 Eligibility of Research Organisations
- The Research Councils promote and support research, postgraduate training
and associated activities in UK research organisations.
- Proposals may be at the instigation of the investigator (Responsive
Mode) or at the instigation of STFC (Calls for Proposals, Statements of
Interest or Managed Mode).
- All UK Higher Education Institutes (HEIs) are eligible to receive funds for
research, postgraduate training and associated activities. The Higher Education
Funding Councils determine whether an organisation meets the criteria as an
- STFC Research Institutes (RIs) and other
Research Council RIs are also eligible to receive STFC funding for
- Other Independent Research Organisations (IROs) may also be
eligible to receive STFC funding for research, if such research extends and
enhances the STFC science base (particle physics, astronomy, solar system
science and particle astrophysics).
- In selected cases, STFC may have requirements for the development of
equipment or facilities, needed to pursue our research priorities, for which
there is no capability in HEIs, ROs or IROs. In these specific circumstances,
STFC will issue a Call for Proposals and may fund organisations which do
not otherwise satisfy the conditions for eligibility.
- Potential applicants from eligible independent research organisations
should also check the eligibility of applicants' requirements and any
additional eligibility requirements for the scheme (research grant or
fellowship) to which they are applying.
- Independent Research Organisations applying for STFC support for the
first time, or seeking to check their eligibility, should contact STFC Swindon
in the first instance.